If you have been getting scaly red, dry patches on your body then you have psoriasis. The medical society has yet to decide if psoriasis is an infection or allergic reaction. A person suffering from psoriasis not only aggravates a person but also makes the person very self-conscious. Some people even choose to wear clothing that completely covers the affected area.
The issue of psoriasis can be treated, and there are several different options for doing so. The following is a list of different soothing measures you can take to help calm or even cure the psoriasis.
1. Re-hydration with direct water treatments is highly recommended. Taking a swim or soaking in the tub can help reduce the itching and swelling, it will also help to soften any areas that are scaly, so that the scales may be easily removed. Luke warm water is the best suited for this, as hot water will only serve to aggravate the psoriasis further.
2. Your body produces natural oils that help to moisturize your skin, and prolonged soaking will break these oils down. Moisturizing not only helps in reducing inflammation and preventing dry skin but also helps in keeping psoriasis under control.
3. Pay close attention to the type you choose. Some soaps are harsh and can further dry out your skin. Choosing a mild soap with a moisturizing base would be your best choice.
4. Keeping the air in your house humid may help. It is recommended that you keep a simple humidifier in your room.
5. People suffering from psoriasis should be careful while taking any kind of medication as medicines like lithium, beta blockers and anti-malarials aggravate the psoriasis conditions. Whenever you visit a doctor for any problem, let him know that you are suffering from psoriasis so that he can be careful in writing your prescription.
6. Psoriasis can be worsened by scratching, sun burn or by rough clothing.
7. If you are overweight and suffer from psoriasis, it is recommended that you lose the excess weight, as it may be a contributing factor to psoriasis.
8. The strep virus may trigger psoriasis in some people. If you are suffering from fever or sore throat, be sure that you see your doctor right away.
So far, they have not found a cure for psoriasis, but these steps will help in relieving the symptoms of psoriasis.